14 Toxic Foods for Dogs

Updated: 3 days ago


Remi & I in San Deigo - May 2021



You need to be very careful with the foods your dog ingests around the house. There are certain foods, even plants that can be harmful and even cause death to your pet, so discard any of these from their diet, even in small quantities.



Alcohol - Ethanol can cause central nervous system and respiratory depression even in small doses. The symptoms may include; trouble breathing, cardiac arrest, and drunk behavior.

Avocados - The toxin in Avacaods is called Persin. The symptoms may include; diarrhea, vomiting, or constipation.

Caffeine - can cause damage to the heart, lungs, kidneys, and central nervous system. The symptoms may include restlessness, vomiting, tremors, arrhythmia, & seizures.

Cherries - the seeds contain cyanide, which can cause cyanide poisoning large quantities.

Chocolate - causes increased heart rate, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, restlessness. The symptoms may include; vomiting, seizures, trouble breathing, arrhythmia.

Garlic & Onions - can cause anemia and lead to kidney damage.

Grapes & Raisins - can cause irreversible kidney damage or death. The symptoms may include; vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and kidney failure.

Gum - Gum contains Xylitol. The symptoms may include vomiting, lethargy, tremors, seizures, and liver failure.

Macadamia Nuts - as little as 6 nuts. The symptoms may include tremors, paralysis, vomiting, and weakness.

Mushrooms - many varieties can cause shock or death in dogs.

Nicotine - Even the smallest dose of either nicotine or xylitol can potentially be fatal to our favorite fur friends.0.5 to 1 mg of nicotine per pound of body weight can be toxic to your pet. The nearly always fatal dose is only about 4 mg per pound of body weight. There are severe consequences of nicotine ingestion, in any form – most of which could lead to death without medical intervention.

Salty Foods (in large amounts) - too much of it can cause neurological symptoms and seizures, even if it's not ingested all at once, and can lead to too much water consumption, which can be dangerous.

Yeast Dough - may rise in the stomach, stretching the abdomen and causing serve pain. It also procedures toxic alcohol (ethanol). The symptoms may include; gassiness, distended abdomen, vomiting, loss of coordination.

Xylitol - A sugar-free sweeter, can cause dogs to develop hypoglycemia and lead to severe liver damage.

(I always check the backs of labels for this).







Owner Tips:

If you don't know what ingredients are in a food, don't let your dog have it.


Make sure you keep all human food (and even toiletries like mouth wash and toothpaste) well out of your dog's reach. Remi loves to eat my toothbrushes so I have to hide them sometimes.


Don't ever give your dog human medication unless instructed to do so by a vet.


If you ever suspect your dog ingested something dangerous, call your vet, or local veterinary emergency services immediately. Or call pet poison control (24/7)


ASPCA Poison Control Hotline: 888-426-4435

National Pet Poison Helpline: 800-213-6680





And if you’re enjoying the content I produce, a little caffeine to keep me going would be greatly appreciated!


18 views0 comments